Climate and Energy Program Internship
Type: Part time & full time (un-paid, eligible for class credit)
Start Date: Fall 2017 semester (August-December) [Spring 2017 positions are filled]
Duration: 3 months (flexible for longer commitment)
Location: 1400 16th Street NW,Washington, DC 20036, United States
Position Summary: The Worldwatch Institute, headquartered in Washington D.C., seeks to hire D.C.-based interns to work in our Climate & Energy program. Successful candidates will work closely with Institute staff to conduct in-depth research and analysis on a broad range of issues related to international renewable energy policy, international climate negotiations, climate finance, and low-emissions development strategies worldwide.
- Track and analyze climate and energy data, market developments and policies in one or more geographic areas Current geographic target areas include Africa, Latin America & the Caribbean, Trans-Atlantic, and Asia. Topical foci include Sustainable Energy Roadmapsand Implementation Plans, climate finance, sustainable energy technology, market, and policy development analysis;
- Contribute to Worldwatch project proposal development, reports, and policy papers and support ongoing research, writing, and presentations of senior staff by producing research memos and other briefing material;
- Carry forward at least one independent research project, to be featured in the Worldwatch blog or other publications;
- Participate and help manage Worldwatch projects, events, and communications
The ideal candidate will have:
- A degree in environmental policy, economics, international affairs, government and legal studies, natural resource management, or other relevant field;
- A strong interest in, and knowledge of, sustainable energy and/or climate-compatible development;
- Excellent writing and communication skills;
- The ability to understand and articulate sophisticated economic, policy and technical analyses;
- Good quantitative and qualitative research skills;
- An attention to detail and data accuracy;
- Outstanding interpersonal skills enabling him/her to work well both in teams and independently;
- Good humor;
- No timidity to mention her/his French, German, Spanish or other language skills – they are a plus but no prerequisite.
To apply, please send a resume, cover letter and up to three writing samples to Philip Killeen at firstname.lastname@example.org with "Climate and Energy Internship" in the subject line.
No telephone calls, please. Due to the volume of applications we receive, we will contact only those persons selected for an interview.
Climate and Energy Program, Worldwatch Institute
Improved technology, high energy prices, and concerns about climate change are creating favorable markets for transforming energy systems around the world. Worldwatch's Climate and Energy program identifies key components of energy and transportation systems that aim to de-carbonize the global economy, boost energy efficiency, spur innovation and job creation, address resource scarcity, and reduce local environmental pollution. Our team focuses on a variety of important topics including international climate policy and finance, climate-compatible development strategies, and small-scale renewable energy entrepreneurship.