Communications and Fundraising for Sustainability Internship
Type: Part-time internship, unpaid (with possible travel stipend)
Duration: 3 months, with potential to extend
Start Date: Spring 2017 semester (January-April) [Fall 2016 positions are filled]
The ideal candidate will have interest in environmental and social issues. S/he must be a good writer and pay close attention to detail. S/he must be able to thrive both independently and in a team-oriented environment, working closely and creatively with all departments of the organization. Video editing or graphic design experience, is a plus.
- Create or repurpose research content for social media, blogs, and video/multimedia;
- Monitor international media mentions;
- Research and propose ways to better disseminate data;
- Research and present social media engagement strategies;
- Write original blog posts, as needed.
- Contribute to planning/implementation of fundraising campaigns;
- Research donor prospects;
- Assist with foundation prospecting and proposals, as needed.
Skills and Experience:
- Awareness of and interest in global sustainability topics, ideally with demonstrated experience and education in environmental sciences and/or activism;
- Solid writing ability;
- Commitment to producing quality work;
- Proactive and creative;
- Social media experience;
- Adobe Creative Suite, mainly InDesign and Illustrator (preferred);
- Experience with researching individuals, foundations, or corporations to gauge their potential and likelihood to contribute (preferred);
- Experience creating, editing, and disseminating video content (preferred).
The work requires a high degree of organizational skills and the ability to both communicate the Institute’s mission and current initiatives well through written and oral presentations. This is a chance for a young professional to expand his or her experience in the non-profit sector and gain broad exposure to the field of sustainability.
Location: Washington, D.C. The Worldwatch office is a few minutes' walk from Dupont Circle and its Red Line Metro stop.
To Apply: Please send your resume, a brief cover letter describing your related work experience, and a brief writing sample to email@example.com, and include "Sustainability Communications and Fundraising Internship" in the subject line. Position will remain open until filled. No telephone calls, please. Due to the volume of applications we receive, we will contact only those persons selected for an interview.
About Worldwatch: The Worldwatch Institute is an independent environmental research organization known for intellectual depth and currency. Trusted as a source of information for government leaders, corporate executives, university professors, environmental activists, journalists, and concerned citizens, Worldwatch provides deliverables empowering decision makers to work toward an environmentally sustainable society.